I’m sure some of you are quite aware of some of the issues I like to bring awareness to from childhood and adult cancer, diabetes and childhood hunger. However, today, since it’s almost May, I wanted to make you aware of Mental Health Awareness.
I’m currently studying Behavioral Analysis and Psychology and working towards my Bachelors degree. My platform for my degree has been ways to bring awareness to mental health issues and I’ve written several papers on the reasons why there is still a stigma attached to this treatable health crisis.
Thanks to the World Health Organization, I’ve come up with a small list of reasons why we need awareness.
- Over half of mental issues develop in children under the age of 14
- Depression is the #1 cause of disability worldwide.
- On average, over 800,000 people will commit suicide. Of those 800,000 at least a quarter of them live in a region where mental health services are not available.
- Mental health leads to higher risk factors for diseases from heart disease to communicable diseases. It even leads to higher possibility of self-inflicted injuries.
- A stigma attached to mental health is the top reason why people do not seek treatment.
- A shortage of psychiatric availability in low income and third world countries keeps the numbers higher for deaths because of mental health.
I bring this up because I’ve seen friends and family go through mental health issues, including myself. Not seeking treatment because of what you think people will say is not the way to live life. Mental health is not a sign of weakness. So I ask of you today, if you or someone you know suffers from depression, anxiety or any other type of mental health disease, please seek treatment. It could save a life.
Check out this website: http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/ for more information on Mental Health.